Oct 13, 2011

Up

The other night, just before dinner, I looked out the window and saw a hot air balloon being inflated in the field directly across from my house. If you've never had a hot air balloon launch from your neighborhood, let me tell you, it's like awesome. Especially when the house directly across from said hot air balloon is full of kids. The whole thing was made even better by the fact that Darwin kept calling it a "gabloon."

This is the first time there's been any balloon launching around here and it may never happen again, but don't think that I'm not going to hang on to these pictures and use "hot air balloon fly-overs" as a feature if we ever try to sell this place.

Jameson was sent on assignment to snap the first two photos.

I think this was as close as he was willing to get.
The fire blasts were VERY loud.

Fully captivated.

This iPhone camera doesn't do the scene justice.
They were so close that we could clearly see the passengers faces.

They waved to the kids as they flew over which cemented the event as the coolest thing ever.

3 comments:

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

We see hot air balloons from time to time here. I don't know what it is about this area, exactly, but there are festivals a few times a year, and it's not terribly unusual to spot one in the sky.

Still, it's always enthralling for the girls to see one through the window. And I think it's pretty cool, too! :)

I tried to get a picture like you did, of the girls' heads from behind, the balloon in focus. I failed miserably, though. But maybe I'll have another chance soon.

Mander said...

I admit it was one really cool experience. I think I was more excited than the kids!
Definitely wouldn't mind seeing that again.

Trike said...

James & Amanda: You guys don't recall the many times the world-champion balloonist from Beavercreek would float over mom & dad's backyard? He used to land in that horse pasture that was at the end of their street.

I remember one day James went running along, excitedly shouting up at the guy, and slamming face-first into the fence around the pool. Good times.