Jun 18, 2010

Diapers

I pretty much only buy Target brand disposable diapers. Before the twins came along, I paid the premium price for name-brand diapers like Pampers and Huggies. Having multiple kids in diapers at the same time, though, made it very apparent how much extra money we were spending for those diapers instead of using a generic or store brand. It turns out that the Target diapers work and fit as well or better than anything else we've ever used. And they cost significantly less.

That being said, I really like these two Huggies commercials I saw on RebelDad's blog. They're notable because they're funny and because they feature dads. Personally, I couldn't care less about the fact that diaper companies target their advertisements towards women when there are plenty of dads that are primary caregivers in homes. Of course companies target women with advertising when the majority of their consumers are women. It makes sense. Plenty of women drink beer, but the vast majority of beer commercials are targeted towards men. I get it. You go where the spending is. But, it is still interesting when you start seeing new approaches like these commercials below. I'll still be buying Target brand diapers, but thanks for the entertainment, Huggies.




5 comments:

Trike said...

The first one reminds me of babysitting Kip.

Charity Donovan said...

These commercials are hilarious! Like you, I'm all about some Target/Wal-Mart diapers!

my name is Amanda said...

As a woman, I feel enraged (or at the least, very irritated) everytime I see YET ANOTHER COMMERCIAL about babies or cleaning products that feature women as cleaners, cooks, and caregivers. Every single time. And this is going back to when I was young girl in the 80s, thinking that in the future, we would see more men in these commercials - how completely wrong and optimistic I was about that. So I respectfully disagree, James, that this is about going where the spending is. Would people buy less food and diapers and laundry detergent if the commercials featured men? These are necessities (barring your cartoon-character junk food), after all. I don't buy that a woman who sees three different commercials for diapers will choose the diapers in which the woman is featured - usually, as you know, parents choose based on economy. Or superstition/price, going off tales from other parents (I am noticing from conversations with friends who have babies and will only use Huggies, for example). Commercials repeatedly feature women because they are about reinforcing the patriarchy. They are about subtle, persistent messages that it's more normal for women to be caregivers, than for men. And again, as you know, what's more common, doesn't make it more normal. Tangentially, why else would it be such a big deal to standardize changing tables in men's restrooms? It's not about saving money. And I'm not suggesting that there's some memo about this in the advertising industry from invisible Male Patriarchy Overlords. If it were that literal, it wouldn't be as difficult to subvert.

In light of all this, of course I appreciate seeing some dad-centered Huggies commercials. And I'll file that Target diaper tip away for the far away future. *happy face*

Urchin said...

Entertaining. My fave dipes used to be the PX/BX brand I bought when Brian was in the Army. Since then I mostly stuck with Huggies because they fit my kids the best....for me it was mostly about the fit, some of the other brands were so awkward.

On a similar side note, Pampers did some cute diaper commercials that featured animals with their young (a few years ago maybe) and I remember liking them just because they were different.

Doug, you always have the funny one-liners that make me laugh out loud. And then my kids come over and ask what I'm reading. And then they ask why I posted diaper commercials on my blog. And then...well, you get the point.

James said...

I gotta disagree with you on this, Amanda. People do buy less of a product when it is not marketed in a way that is reflective of their own personal life. It's more subconscious than conscious, but it's pretty much how advertising works. Cleaning products, Twilight movies, Apple computers, Nike clothing, organic food -- they are all sold the same way -- as brands that fit or reinforce an image or lifestyle to which their target market already identifies or aspires. Sure it all reinforces stereotypes, but that's because they're reflective of reality.

I think society will have to change before you see marketing change. I'd be surprised if my dad could even find the cleaning supplies isle in Target. My father-in-law has NEVER changed a diaper. No amount of creative advertising will ever change that.