Nov 12, 2009

Kiersey Temperament Sorter

I just took an online Kiersey Temperament Sorter personality assessment. I have taken it on a few previous occasions, but it has been awhile since the last time. You can take the test here.

My personality type is Rational. Here is my mini-report. I'd have to say it's pretty much right on. Julie agrees. In many ways, Julie and I are very much opposites. I guess they attract after all.

Rationals are the problem solving temperament, particularly if the problem has to do with the many complex systems that make up the world around us. They are interested in the most efficient solutions possible, and will listen to anyone who has something useful to teach them, while disregarding any authority or customary procedure that wastes time and resources.

They are rigorously logical and fiercely independent in their thinking -- are indeed skeptical of all ideas, even their own -- and they believe they can overcome any obstacle with their will power. Rationals value intelligence, in themselves and others, and they pride themselves on the ingenuity they bring to their problem solving.

Rationals are very scarce, comprising as little as 7 to 10 percent of the population. But because of their drive to unlock the secrets of nature, and to develop new technologies, they have done much to shape our world.

Rationals seek to acquire and apply expertise. They thrive in an autonomous and intellectually stimulating workplace, working alongside other competent people, pursuing knowledge or creating systems. Their core need to follow the driving force of their own intelligence leads to particular career challenges. For example, recognition of their expertise may lead to their being put "in charge" of other people, as a manager, when they might prefer to remain immersed in projects of their own.

Because of their curious and imaginative nature, their ideal job may be just about anything that invites their creativity. They innovate as much as they are allowed in one position, then, if they hit a wall, they will often change paths to reinvent themselves. This may mean they shift their line of work entirely more than once in their career.

Their minds move quickly and this can make them an exciting leader to follow – when others can keep up! Delegating work, motivating others, and seeing things through, though, can sometimes be tedious for them. As a result, entrepreneurship might be a career path that they want to consider. That way, they will not only be able to produce the big ideas, they will have free reign to see them through.

Rationals are even tempered, they trust logic, yearn for achievement, seek knowledge, prize technology, and dream of understanding how the world works.


I don't think I can really argue with any of this. Though maybe this is like a horoscope and it's vague enough for anyone to see themselves in the description. Regardless, I love the fact that this personality type represents as little as 7 percent of the population. I hope Julie realizes what a rare gem she's found...

Did you take the test? What is your personality type? Is it an accurate description of the real you?

6 comments:

Trike said...

I took it again, just for funsies. Once again I come out as an INTJ (Rational).

INTJs are the rarest of the personality types. As Caroline once remarked of me, "You're no one's target audience."

I find the Myers-Briggs personality test to be the most accurate ever devised. (The MBTI is what Kiersey is if you strip away the marketing.) I find that Kiersey's names are troublesome. I don't consider myself a "Mastermind." I *could* be if I wanted to, because I have a take-charge, do-what-I-say personality, but most of the time I can't be bothered. As the description says, I *can* be a manager, I just don't *want* to be.

In the "it's funny because it's true" department, a group of INTJs is called "an argument." We will argue just to argue. It is the butter for our bread, the sauce for our goose, the ICBMs in our subs. (We also love analogies. And lists.)

Some years ago I was on an INTJ mailing list, and the others in that forum dubbed me the "uber-INTJ." I do not deviate one whit from the description. I add nothing nor lack anything from that list. When I first saw the INTJ description, it spooked me a little bit. But it also gave me a sense of relief because I suddenly had an explanation for why I was so different from other people.

Hoolie said...

Truly, you are both "special".

the projectivist said...

I'm an idealist.
I'm happy with that.

Jim said...

I find Cosmo to be waaaayyyy more "in tune" to these type of personality tests. I'm with Julie

my name is Amanda said...

Apparently I am an Idealist. (This is familiar territory as of late, as I've been reading a lot about personality types and career info lately, since I need to get a brand new career and stuff...sometime soon.)

Keith and Jamie said...

I am a Guardian...or and ESTJ from the myers briggs...we are talking extreme extrovert, go figure!