Aug 3, 2009

That Taste Like Frickin' Awesome

At the risk of this starting to look like a baking blog, I will once again try to tempt you into some delicious kitchen work.

I give you, "Muffins that Taste Like Donuts." They're pretty much what the title says. You can find this recipe and variations of it all over the internet. I actually learned it back in my high school culinary arts class taught by Mrs. Mary Ann Bray, who I believe is still teaching the class. I'm all for classes in which you get to eat on a regular basis -- was I destined to be a stay at home dad or what? Mrs. Bray was an excellent cook with enormous hair. I'm guessing she's still an excellent cook and still has enormous hair.

OK, these muffins are incredibly easy to make so you have no excuse not to run to the kitchen right now and whip up a batch. If you can make pancakes, you can make these. My only warning is that it's extremely easy to devour one or two or five of these as soon as they're done baking. We made some the other morning and there was only one left when Julie got home. It was totally the kids' fault.

It's a pretty flexible recipe, so you could probably healthy them up a bit by modifying some ingredients, but where's the fun in that. Besides, I'm going to assume these are already way better than a deep fried donut, so I'm going to put them in the "healthy" column as is.

Muffins that Taste Like Donuts
Muffins
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup oil (I used light olive oil)
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup milk

Topping
1/2 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix together all the dry stuff. In another bowl, mix together all the wet stuff. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Stir everything together just enough to combine it. (Lumpy is good.) Grease some muffin tins and fill with the mixture. (Those little cupcake papers or foils aren't needed, but go ahead if that's how you roll.) Bake for 20 minutes or so. (If you stick a wooden toothpick in and out of the middle of one muffin and it comes out clean, they're done.) Tip from Mrs. Bray: When baking muffins, fill any empty spots in the muffin tin with water. It protects the muffin tin and will add moisture in the oven to help keep whatever you are baking moist. Meanwhile, mix the sugar and cinnamon for the topping and melt the butter. Once muffins have cooled a little, pop them out with a fork and dip the tops of the muffins into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Then start stuffing your face. (Or put them on a cooling rack. Your call.)


And now for the photographic evidence:

I'm telling you these things are good.
I couldn't even snap a photo before Jameson was done with his first one.



The twins ate two each. And that was after having already eaten breakfast.


Butter, cinnamon and sugar. I rest my case.


Make some of your own. Now.

7 comments:

Charity Donovan said...

Yummmmmmy...we will be trying these!

King of New York Hacks said...

So thats what you do when not sleeping. They would sell for $5 bucks a pop here in NYC !!

Taryn said...

Mrs. Huber-Bray would be proud
;-)! I might have to make these for old time sake. They were deelish!

the projectivist said...

good, yes -
nearly as good as my version!



jam donut volcano

James said...

And you're not going to share the recipe???

Charity Donovan said...

These are AWESOME & now that I am done stuffing my face, I'm off to make a 2nd batch!!!! I mean for real...you have to agree...one batch is NOT enough for five kids (oh yeah - that's right - blamin' it on the kids!!!)

Alexis said...

These look and sound awesome. Can you eat them for dinner?