Jul 28, 2009

Photography

If you haven't figured it out already, I like to take pictures. Really, I like all kinds of artistic pursuits, but the photography bug has bitten me particularly hard lately and I've been actively trying to develop my skills. Like so many creative endeavors photography is such a mix of scientific and creative proficiency. It's extremely challenging and I'm completely hooked.

Last week when Jameson got to play around with the food coloring and water, I also got to play around but with the camera. I took what I think are some decent pictures and I've uploaded them to my deviantART account where I've been collecting some of my better work. Feel free to critique -- there are a million and one things I hate about these results, but I've got a ton of ideas I want to go back and try. I know so little about photography that I really just consider this part of the learning process. I'm hoping if I work at it I can start getting some real quality results.

Here are a few samples. Definitely click on the pictures for better resolution versions of these images. You can see the whole lot of pictures I took here, but below are some of the few I liked best.





10 comments:

Trike said...

Very cool. What background is that? The countertop or something?

I added you to my DA watch list. I'm Dash McCool over there.

Mander said...

I love the last picture...reminds me of a fish...can I get a copy?

James said...

Trike - Here's the setup: Floor of the sunroom by the patio door in full sunlight. I just placed a blank piece of printer paper under the glass. It reflected a ton of light and I over exposed it just a little to get the clean white background.

James said...

Amanda - I know what you're getting for Christmas...

the projectivist said...

i'm new to your blog, James
but your photography is definitely one of the things that keeps bringing me back!

Mander said...

Can I get that blown up, framed and matted. Thanks!

JennyMac said...

Really artsy cool pics. And yes, that last one does look like a fish.

Jay Ferris said...

I especially like the last one, as it reminds me of some twisted alien fetus. That and blue is one of my favorite colors.

Alyson (New England Living) said...

This is very cool! I love experimenting with photography too.

pity said...

the last one is my favorite too....nice pictures thanks for sharing