Jul 21, 2009

2009 Dayton Air Show

I don't know anything about airplanes. My biggest interest in planes is making sure I get an aisle seat or empty row when using one for travel. I certainly don't know anything about military planes except that the one painted black is "stealth." And that the one plane in True Lies was a Harrier which can take off vertically and is designed for fighting sky scrapers and construction cranes. So basically, I have the aeronautics knowledge of a typical 5 year old. Which is fine. Because that means all the stuff at the annual Dayton Air Show feels incredibly kick ass simply because it flies and is either super big, super fast or super loud (or all three).

This year was no different. We had nice seats in Julie's company chalet. It was cool and cloudy which made it nice for not burning my Irish skin but not so nice for visibility. Regardless, the planes were big, fast and loud. I lucked into a few good shots out of hundreds taken. Following supersonic jets with a zoom lens is hard. At least as hard as flying the actual jets.




















8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your knowledge of airplanes is so limited, you can't even spell the word correctly.

-kip

Chatter said...

Laughing at Kip's comment. I must have missed where you misspelled it. Conner is in love. He just said "I wish I had something fancy like those planes. There is a lot to learn about planes mom. There is all kind of things you can learn about planes mom". Hilarious. Apparently he shares your thoughts. I didn't even read to him what you had wrote. Lastly he said "I can't believe James sent a copy of them". We need to print these for Conner.

I have always wanted to go to an airshow. Looks like fun!

James said...

Thank you, Kip. My life would be incomplete without you.

Chan - You guys should come next year. Conner would LOVE it.

SRA said...

Great pictures!

Trike said...

Awesome pics as always. Love the shot of Jameson flying around the B2.

Chandra, you guys *should* come to the airshow next year. It's the second largest in the world after Paris' and is loaded with cool things to look at. It's a total boytosterone event.

Do they still do the napalm carpet bombing demonstration? Because that's scary as hell.

James said...

Yes, the carpet bombing demonstration is still around. It's so intense that it makes it hard to imagine what the real thing is like.

Kirst said...

I love the action shot of Jameson jumping off the chair, too funny.

WoodHugger said...

Chandra, the week of Quentin's wedding is the Oshkosh Wisconsin airshow, I might go since it's about 6 hours from Ft Wayne. It's the "biggest" airshow in the world, 10,000 planes in all. b/c it's a fly-in, with lots of small aircraft on display. Also has stunt performers, military air craft, and rides in airplanes such as the B-17. http://www.airventure.org/attractions/