Jun 25, 2009

Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50

Michael Jackson, the 'King of Pop,' dies at age 50

Say what you want about Michael Jackson, one thing is for certain, we'll never see another performer like him again (sorry Justin). The "King of Pop" is untouchable. His music and style transcended any line or division you could imagine. He was just that great.

Watching his life unravel over the last many years was a curiosity to some people, but to so many of my generation it was saddening. Hopefully, in his passing, we'll be able to remember him for the amazing talent that he was.

I remember begging my parents to let me go to a friend's house to watch the Thriller video since we didn't have cable. I was only six years old at the time but even then I knew what a big deal Michael was. I had a folder that looked like the Thriller album cover which I carried around school until it was in tatters. I probably still have it somewhere.

Man, that was a long time ago.

Rest in peace, Michael.

1 comment:

Alexis said...

So glad to see someone else mourning the true king of pop. All I have heard the last 24 hours have been really nasty slurs about him. He was an amazing talent and to hear so many people, especially those of my generation, using such crass language to define him has been even sadder to me today.