Jun 20, 2009

Amusement Park Recap

There are definitely some major benefits to being a stay-at-home-dad. Jameson and I got to run off to an amusement park on a whim. No "vacation time" to use up. No meetings and schedules to rearrange. No checking a BlackBerry the whole time. I could get used to this.

So the MIL came to the house and watched the twins. Jameson and I headed off to Kings Island with no agenda. Last year Jameson could ride about 4 different attractions in the whole park. He seemed to enjoy himself a year ago, but I knew this trip would be a different experience. The few inches he's grown since his previous visit raised his ride options to at least a dozen. More importantly, he was now tall enough to ride a "coaster."

Jameson's ability to ride a roller coaster is a big deal. To me at least. I'm a bit of a roller coaster junkie and it's of utmost importance that I find out which, if any, of my kids are going to be into roller coasters too. I need riding partners and this was going to be the first test. As you'll see in the video below, the results are promising. (This is now one of my favorite videos of Jameson. High on the cuteness factor.)

The children's area of the park is Nickelodeon themed which is perfect for my cartoon addicted child. It really is a quality kids area (voted the "Best Kids' Area" in the world) and we had no problem wasting away nearly eight hours of the day there. Curiously, the things that gave Jameson the biggest fright all day were the costumed characters wandering around posing for pictures with the kids. We saw Patrick Star, Scooby-Doo and Wanda from the Fairly Odd Parents. Jameson was terrified. It was like they were out to get him. Later in the day after they had stopped making their rounds, Jameson noted, "I guess the puppets gave up." Yes, Jameson, their evil plot was foiled by the persistent burying of your face in my shirt and clawing of my neck with your fingernails.

Even though it was "man time," Mom stopped by for a couple hours to see how we were doing (and snap a few photos of us). We all grabbed some La Rosa's pizza for dinner which is nearly a requirement on any trip to Kings Island. It's good pie for scarfing down between rides, but I've got to be honest, it might be the most overrated pizza in the midwest. Overrated pizza aside, the day was a pretty awesome start to Father's Day weekend.

Enjoy the photos and make sure you check out the video.

Photo ops with Nick Toon characters abounded. We started off with Jimmy Neutron and his dog.



Timmy from the Fairly Odd Parents. One of my favorites.



I'm not a big fan of LazyTown. Sportacus creeps me out.



We warmed up with a little Blue's Skidoo.



A spin behind the wheel of this 1/2 MPH beast.



The Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Castle ride is one of the last remnants of "Hanna-Barbara Land" which became the current "Nickelodeon Universe." In a former life, this was also the Smurf Ride. And in high school it was also known as The Make-out Ride. So I'm told.



Are you sure you're not scared, Jameson?




The Scooby-Doo ride is like your typical haunted house but with targets and light guns to get your "pew pew" fix.



The classic swing ride. Kid sized.



The merry-go-round is about one year away from being on the "boring" list.



It makes for great motion blur pictures, though!



Tall enough. And cool enough.




The first ever roller coast ride. Followed by seven more consecutive trips.



A couple of shots of yet another coaster trip later in the day. Thanks for snapping us, Mom.



Not exactly built for comfortable riding by us bigger kids.



Are you sure he's big enough for this ride???



Despite the frequent trips on the roller coaster, this tower drop ride, Plankton's Plunge, was named Jameson's favorite ride in the park. I must concur. Sheldon J. Plankton also happens to be one of the funniest characters on TV these days.



They just keep lifting you and dropping you until you can't help but laugh from the tingling in your stomach.



The only thing Jameson wouldn't do all day? Run through this splash area.



And finally, the whiplash ride.



Can you tell this was the last ride of the day?



Luckily for us, Ohio is also home of the world's greatest amusement park, Cedar Point. We'll have to put that on the calendar.

6 comments:

Trike said...

Okay, this is getting really, really freaky.

Not only does Jameson look like you at that age, he's acting *exactly* the way you did. Everything from his laugh to his repeated, monomaniacally-focused reaction: "Let's do it again. Let's do it again. Let's do it again."

Seriously, did Julie's genes play a part in his creation at all? Or did you just go ahead and clone yourself without her knowing?

my name is Amanda said...

Haha, I was going to comment on his focus re: going on the ride again, as well. That video is the best. So cute! Yes, this is very promising for you.

(My exboyf was a coaster junkie and I was a very good sport about it. He always wanted to road trip to Cedar Point, but I guess we broke up before that could happen. Not because of coasters though.)

Caroline said...

With many great shots to choose from, I am a sucker for photos enhanced by captions.

I think my favorite is, "Tall enough. And cool enough."

James said...

The force is strong with this one.

SRA said...

hi,
I stumbled upon your blog somehow and thought i'd say hey and not just be a stalker. Your blog cracks me up! thanks for sharing...
Sara from Chicago

WoodHugger said...

How did he not fall out of the drop zone? Looks like he could have floated up and out if it fell fast enough.

I think Jameson has a little more Julie in him than Doug thinks. Spend some time with the little terror, and when you're missing chunks of flesh, you'll know he's Julie's son!