May 6, 2009

Kip Nearly Destroys Entire Suburb

OK, maybe it wasn't my brother Kip personally, but it was his employer.

The explosion to which I'm referring took place this past Monday at a Veolia Environmental Services chemical plant located in West Carrollton, a suburb of Dayton, Ohio. According to the Dayton Daily News, Tim Spradlin, the Ohio fire marshal's chief explosion investigator called it "the largest industrial explosion I’ve seen.” This was no dumpster fire. Homes were rattled all over south Dayton. Flames shot hundreds of feet into the air and the fire could be seen from miles away. Amazingly, no one died. See the full story at the Dayton Daily News website. It happened at night and it obviously scared the living daylights out of area residents.

Last I checked, Kip was shipped up to Youngstown to work since his Dayton office was flattened. No word yet on his long term prospects.

Check out these pictures:





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes, glad more people weren't hurt!

Keel

my name is Amanda said...

Oh my goodness - that's amazing!

(I fantasize about my workplace exploding into a ball of fire everyday. With no one in it, of course.)

Trike said...

Kip had Mexican for lunch again?

Chatter said...

That's insane. Do they know what happened yet?

WoodHugger said...

Yeah, Kip said hey only recycle alkaline batteries, but I made him take my old rechargables too. See, when you mix cadmium, lithium and a base (alkaline) you get... um... a bipolar, Easter-candy eating pyromaniac?