Feb 28, 2009

What a Week

First, the Dayton Flyers lose to St. Louis (where's the love, Donovan Clan???).

They follow it up with an overtime loss to Rhode Island and slide back a notch in the A-10 standings. The annual season-end tank job has begun. I'm sure we're well on our way to another first round NCAA loss or NIT invitation. Yipee.

Speaking of basketball, then I see in the news that a guy I lived with in college is arrested on sexual battery charges involving a minor player on the girls basketball team he coaches. The news is unsettling, bizzare and somehow not all that surprising.

Friday morning the house gets hit by lightning and at 4:00 in the morning we're visited by a couple of ladder trucks and half a dozen firemen. That was a surreal experience. Of course, the kids slept through the whole thing. For once we could have slept through a night uninterrupted and we have a fire emergency?!?!

Friday evening I discover my DIRECTV receiver and my computer are fried. No, it couldn't have been the microwave or the clock radio or something like that. It had to be Dad's toys. It wasn't like I was careless about it. The storm wasn't forecast that night and it only lasted about 15 minutes. But it was enough to fry the equipment despite being on surge supressor power strips.

So, what do I take from all of this?

Well, the Flyers only have 5 losses on the season and, most importantly, they crushed Xavier. It could still be a great post-season for Dayton.

My ex-roomate's arrest is a reminder that you can't trust everyone and as parents you can never be too involved in your kids' lives.

It's not like 4:00 AM wake up calls are anything new for me. I'm thankful for the outstanding public services in this country. I'm particularly thankful for the awesome Franklin Fire Department. And I'm most thankful that our house didn't catch on fire.

Sure starting from scratch when you lose your computer is a major bummer, but I'd rather lose a few pictures of the kids than have something actually happen to the kids. Computers and satellite receivers are just stuff. Unimportant in the grand scheme and easily replaced. And speaking of replaced, I guess I need to start shopping for a computer...

Anyway, all is well here. Let's just hope that next week is a little less eventful.

1 comment:

Charity Donovan said...

Don't mess w/ the best baby! GO STL!!! So sory to hear about the lightning extravaganza! THAT does not sound fun!!!! Hope you at least get your pictures back!