Jan 31, 2009

Clutter

I know by putting this out here on the interwebs that I will ultimately lose this argument, but I must be heard...

Before the twins were born, what is currently their room was the officexerciselaundry room. In other words, it was the room that held all the junk that didn't have a proper place somewhere else in the house. Well, ever since those needy little kids took over the room that junk has been occupying improper places throughout the house. One of the displaced items is our CD collection. I wouldn't call it a huge collection, but there are at least several hundred jewel cases taking up valuable real estate in our home.

Now here's where the argument comes in. That CD collection is collecting dust. Music in this household is almost exclusively consumed via iTunes, iPods, iPhones, satellite radio and the internet. The CDs are relics from a bygone era. The logical thing to do with them? Import the songs into iTunes, throw the discs in a few CD albums and pitch the jewel cases (and accompanying booklets). Just think of the space that could be saved.

Julie of course disagrees.

While the cases clearly serve no real purpose other than to remind us of what it was like to go out and physically purchase music, Julie insists that we "might need them some day." Need them some day? Like how? If we run out of drink coasters? Will it some day be imperative to see what the packaging for TLC - Crazy, Sexy, Cool looked like? Is there some critical information to be found in the pages of George Michael's Faith album insert? Will the evidence that I own a House of Pain CD every provide me anything more than shame?

So I say toss 'em all. Julie says no way. Let's pretend for a minute that there is more than one possible outcome -- what do you think makes the most sense?

7 comments:

Mander said...

Keep them! Just like dad kept all of his records. That way your kids will snoop through them when you're not home and wonder what in the heck were you guys thinking...Just think of the great conversations you will have with the kids when they get older...

my name is Amanda said...

I'm of the "keep them!" vein. Because I believe an album can be art. The Flaming Lips "The Soft Bulletin"- how can anyone get rid of this? Etc etc. Same with Def Leppard's "Hysteria."

I think you know what I mean.

Ward and June said...

I would keep them, but then again we still listen to those prehistoric things. There is a CD player in almost every room of our house.
But, if you don't use them, and you're going to add them to your digital library then I would get rid of it all. Not just the cases.
Put the whole lot up on Craig's List.

Anonymous said...

pitch them, they're relics and you have your music stored electronically. space is space....

Keel

Anonymous said...

oh and don't throw them away, freecycle or craigslist. maybe you could put the money towards the twins' college education.

Keel

Chatter said...

I would definitely throw them out. We will be doing the same thing here shortly. And I don't mean "throw" them away. Post all as one big set on craigslist. Good luck!
Chandra

cake. said...

i'm not going to say either way, but this made me laugh "Will it some day be imperative to see what the packaging for TLC - Crazy, Sexy, Cool looked like?" haha!