Jun 19, 2008

Father's Day

Father's Day just keeps getting better. I think this year seemed especially great both because my number of children tripled a few months ago and because Jameson is changing so much and our relationship along with him. There is not much I look forward to more than coming home at the end of the day to Jameson poking his head out the window by the front door saying "Hi, Dad!" over and over until I get through the front door.  Or some days it's Jameson hiding somewhere in the living room, barely able to wait to jump out and yell "Surprise!" as I enter. But no matter what his greeting of the day, it is always topped off with a big, long hug to which nothing in the world can compare. Sometimes I just can't believe how lucky I am to have my family. It all seems to have happened overnight. I think many people think Father's Day is meant for celebrating the dads in our lives, but now that I am a dad myself, I know the day is really for us fathers to step back and appreciate the very things that give us the title in the first place.

For me, Father's Day was spectacular from the time I woke up (or technically before I even opened an eye). I basically spent the entire day with my kids, and maybe it wasn't too different than any other typical weekend, but it seemed especially great nonetheless.

My first gift of the day was getting to sleep in. Amelia joined me. I think I've found my morning napping buddy.

We spent most of the evening at my parents' house where we put the family tree swing to good use.

After Jameson took his turn, he offered Andersen some advice for newbies.



Jameson was happy to get us started.



Amelia had her reservations...

...but she quickly warmed up to swinging.

And finally, patient little Truman.

As usual, his reaction was no different than as if he was lying in his crib staring at the ceiling.

For those of you that don't know, Jameson is extremely anti-toe jam. As soon as his socks come off, he gets to work.

It's not uncommon for him to spend ten minutes making sure every last piece of fuzz is gone. He gets his OCD from me.

3 comments:

Lil' Sis said...

Sorry I couldn't be there for Father's Day. Just one question; Did you and Jameson have to match?

Chatter said...

Beautiful post James!! Glad to hear you are embracing fatherhood. Enjoy the little ones :)

cake. said...

aw, this is cute as heck-all!