Mar 8, 2008

She Knows

The only way I can get Amelia asleep is by walking and bouncing her. The key here is walking. Sometimes this takes 20 or more minutes. It's not a huge deal, but as she gets heavier, and especially when Truman also needs his own bouncing session, it starts to wear on one's back. Unfortunately, Amelia will not let me bounce her while sitting. I've tried so many ways to transition from walking to sitting but nothing works. I contort my body. I move in super slow motion. I do everything possible to recreate the feeling of being walked and bounced, but the results are always the same. The moment I reach a sitting position and give my back a little relief... BAM! Amelia starts screaming her head off. Nothing works. She KNOWS the second I've shifted an ounce of effort from maintaining her comfort to my own. I feel like Indiana Jones trying to replace the idol with a bag of sand. Just as I think I've successfully accomplished my task... click... the arrows start flying and I'm back to trying to outrace a screaming boulder. It's the same thing every day. So I guess in my case, Indiana Jones stars Bill Murray and takes place in Punxsutawney, PA.

As incredibly frustrating as it sometimes is (notice the time on this post...), for some strange reason I wouldn't have it any other way. It's such a part of her personality that I love and I guess it's also a reminder that being a parent requires no less than a 100% commitment to your children. Though, if she's this demanding at three months...

I'd better get some sleep. Lots of it.

1 comment:

blah blah blah said...

You're children are adorable, I love the one of the eldest with one of the twins.

Our daughter needs you to be moving constantly to be satisfied, maybe it's something about girls?