Mar 28, 2008

Daycare Hunting

We're finally trying to find a daycare for J. He's more than ready for the social interaction of other 2-year-olds and is practically begging us to take him to "school." Sadly, finding a suitable daycare is about as difficult as finding a new house. Yes, Julie and I are probably too picky and never being able to agree on anything doesn't help. But the quality of the places we've visited so far is, um, lacking. Lacking to the point where I wonder why anyone sends their kids to daycare. The infant areas are like little prisons with rows of babies just staring out at each other from behind bars. They look like they're likely to have human contact maybe twice a day. And one place we visited smelled like cats. Which didn't seem so bad when the next place we visited smelled like wet cats.

And then there was the place we visited on Friday. The director of this fine establishment managed to take her daycare out of the running with three little words.

After finishing up a nice little tour of the facility, we headed back up to the office to get some additional information. I can't even remember what the conversation was, but at one point she was making a comment about one of the many toddlers we had just met. Recalling one boy in particular, she looked at me and said, "you know, the dark one." That's right. She referred to one of the black kids in her daycare as "the dark one."

Are you friggin' kidding me? Needless to say, J will not be receiving his early childhood education from "the crazy, white, ignorant, inbred, racist one."

4 comments:

blah blah blah said...

Good for you, that is ridiculous, if you don't mind me saying. These people want you to leave your child in their care and then make a statement that is not only racist but basically belittling one of their "clients". Some people amaze me with their ignorance.

Good luck daycare hunting.

-June

stacey said...

Check out the Montessori schools/centers. They're usually pretty good. Good luck!

blah blah blah said...

We're considering the Montessori School too. Of course we have plenty of time to do more research (seeing as how our twins aren't even three months yet), but it sounds like a good start.
I know someone who sends two children to the local Montessori school here and he says that they actually focus on teaching instead of just baby-sitting, but he also says that they are untraditional. I think he used the phrase "tree-huggers", but he still sends his kids.
Tree-huggers don't bother me so much. I think it's worth looking into.

-Ward

Anonymous said...

Stacey I agree with you about Montessori schools, I think right now (if I had children) it'd be a top pick. I have friends who attended Montessori schools and absolutely loved it.

Keely