Nov 5, 2007

A Whole Week as Mr. Mom and No Major Incidents!

OK, maybe one incident. And I wouldn't really call it an incident. More of a funny, little happening that should in no way be used to judge my parenting skills.

I let Jameson lock me out of the house this morning.

And, as adept as he is at locking the door, he is significantly lacking in the unlocking skill set.

We had just finished breakfast and it was about time to leave for my parents' house where Jameson would be spending the day while I was at work. Fall has just begun to set in here and this was one of the first truly chilly mornings of the year. I thought I would do Jameson a favor and go warm up the car. Jameson was catching some Oswald in the living room, distracted and content. I handed him his coat thinking that the struggle to put it on himself would buy me more than the thirty seconds I needed to go start the car. I run out. Start the car. Crank the heat. And run back. My heart sinks when I try to turn the door handle and it doesn't budge. My mind quickly flashes to the keys now sitting in the minivan ignition. I know there isn't a house key on the ring. I always come in through the unlocked garage door -- why did I need a house key? Why? Apparently because two year olds like to lock doors. I get that awful, heart-racing, stomach churning millisecond of panic as I try the door again. Yes, definitely locked. I know the trouble this kid can get in when I'm standing over him -- I don't want to think about what could happen when he has the run of the house. I call to Jameson through the door, "JJ, unlock the door." I listen to the handle rattle briefly. I try again. Still locked. Jameson gives his own assessment, "JJ no can do it." Great. "Try again, JJ. Turn the little button on the handle." More door knob rattling. Still locked. He repeats, "JJ no can do it," this time with a little desperation in his voice. I ask him to try again. He obliges, but now the realization that Dad is stuck outside is sinking in and Jameson is in a full blown cry. But he keeps trying and trying to unlock the door, all the while sobbing, "JJ no can do it." Cute to hear when he's trying to tie his shoes. Heart wrenching to hear when he desperately wants to be rescued by Dad. Why, oh why don't I keep a house key on my keychain? Of all the keys in the world, isn't that the one key I should have???

Oh yeah, my house is for sale and the realtor has my house key secured to my front door in a little lock box to which I know the combination. What a clever way for people without keys to get into my locked house. Brilliant.

Father and son are reunited. Hugs are exchanged. Tears are dried. No harm no foul.

Moral of the story: Kids should not be spoiled with pre-warmed (or cooled) cars. When I was a kid, I went everywhere on cheap vinyl that was cold enough to stick to your tongue or hot enough to give second degree burns and I turned out OK. (Just look at the fine parent I've become.)

2 comments:

Chatter said...

We were getting ready to leave one day and had left one set of keys in the ignition and one set in my purse (which I had loaded into the car). While we finished getting ready we let Conner play around with the steering wheel. Somehow, doors got shut while packing and sure enough the second Conner steps on the keys he had taken out of the ignition and all the doors locked. We spent a good five minutes trying to get his tiny little finger to unlock the doors and panic set in on his face. We called a lock smith and anxiously waited the next fifteen minutes dancing around like monkeys to keep Conner laughing and distracted (he knew how to put keys in the ignition at this time). We all survived!

Hoolie said...

I love this story. I can just picture JJ. You're lucky, dad.