Oct 19, 2007

And Then There Was One...

We are officially down to one dog. Though our efforts were focused on placing Hank and Lucy together, we actually found the perfect home for Lucy alone -- with the owner of one of her litter-mates. It was meant to be. In fact, Julie arranged to meet Lucy's potential new mom at a dog park today with only the intention of finding out if Lucy would be compatible with the woman's current pooch. It was so apparent that Lucy was meant to be with them that Julie let her take Lucy home on the spot.  Lucy didn't look back. I didn't even get the chance to say goodbye to the bitch.

Which now leaves us with one lonely, miniature dachshund. We actually think we've found the ideal home for him, too. Apparently Hank and Lucy are such different dogs that a single perfect owner for them both probably doesn't exist.

I was sad to see Lucy go but it will be much worse with Hank. I've had him for over 7 years and despite his shortcomings (no pun intended) (OK, maybe a little bit) he really is a sweet dog.  I already told Julie that she'll have to be the one to actually give him away because I won't be able to do it. Doug Belle, if you're reading this, I'll give Hank a hug for you. Be good, Hank.

1 comment:

Hoolie said...

You beat me to this one. I guess I'm not sad to see the dogs go because I know they will be much happier elsewhere. They have been largely ignored in the 2 years since Jameson was born, and they deserve a better home environment. I will miss them in some ways, but I think I said goodbye the week we brough home Jameson.