This all started back in April when we decided to put tile down in the master bathroom. I have zero experience laying tile, but hey, how hard could it be? (Carpet in the bathroom, by the way, is the worst idea ever.)
This is how the bathroom originally looked. Pretty blah. And the carpet had to go.
Julie and Jameson were going to be gone for a few days, so my brother Kip, my cousin Curt and I got to work. I figured if we were going to tear out the floor, now would be a great time to paint the walls. I picked out the tile and the paint without Julie. That was mistake number one.
Actually, mistake number one might have been bringing on Kip and Curt as the hired labor. Just kidding. They were a big help.
The toilet was already removed, but that didn't stop nature from calling. Besides, we needed someone to read up on how to install tile.
This is the wall space behind the mirror. Just in case someone in the future wants to know who the hell botched this job.
The paint color didn't look half bad at this point. I kind of liked it.
This picture will probably get me in a heap of trouble. The battery died on the cordless drill, so we switched to the Cuisinart hand mixer to finish making the thinset. Sorry, honey. Don't worry, I cleaned it REEEALLY well.
I can never resist licking the beaters.
See that blue roll in the background. That was the flexible underlayment that we put down with thinset. It's supposedly stronger than traditional backer boards and is easier to cut around corners and such, but I will never use it again. It's so much harder to get level. Next time I'll use Hardie Backer Board.
We used a laser line to set the tile straight. One of the few things we did really well was lay the tile straight. As you can start to see in this picture, the choice of paint color with this tile was potentially going to be a problem. By the way, this is a natural stone tile, Travertine, that I got on sale at The Tile Store.
Curt was the official "spacer" and "thinset cleaner upper."
I handled the thinset and laying the tile.
Kip was the official cutter.
Unfortunately for Kip, he had to run out to the garage to cut each piece of tile since that was the only place to set up the extremely messy wet saw. It was particularly a pain when a piece had to be cut more than once. (Remember, Kip, "measure twice, cut once.")
This illustrates two problems: 1) My wife can't resist yanking my shorts down when I'm in a compromised position just so she can show off my crack and 2) The original color of the walls completely washed out the room alongside this color tile. Of course, we waited until the night before our house showing to do anything about it.
It's alot easier to paint around a toilet when the toilet's not there. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Julie picked out the new color, and I have to admit I was skeptical at first, but as usual, she was right on the money. The pictures don't do it justice, but the walls and tile look great together now.
The color in this picture is a little off, but the room looks great now. (Click on the pictures to enlarge them.) If it wasn't my favorite room in the house before, it is now.